Saturday, November 3, 2007

Mosque and Bazaar

October 27
Today we went to see the "New Mosque." Only in Istanbul would you call a 400 year old mosque "new."

I asked Papa if I could count the tiles and he said, "If you can." I counted 5,288 tiles!! That was just on the huge pillars. In the Blue Mosque there are over 20,000 tiles!!!! We went to another mosque

and then we went to the Grand Bazaar. It really lives up to it's name. I was looking for a Turkish rug money pouch thingy. I got one for 1 lira. I also got some apple tea (tourist tea) that carpet sellers give you while you are looking at their carpets. It's really good. Mama got a new purse. There was one guy whose slogan wasn't the best. When we walked by he asked us, "Do you want to spend some money?" There was a carpet seller who asked us, "Do you want some carpets?" We said we didn't need them and he said, "Let me sell you something you don't need." We laughed. And, that was our trip to the bazaar.

No comments: